Saturday, November 1, 2008

CDP Theme Day: Books



I grew up surrounded by books. There were books (encyclopedias, novels, bound old Time and Life magazines, Readers Digest) everywhere at home and by the time I finished 2nd grade, I had read them all. Because there was nothing else to read (and do, there was no tv then), I remember reading Ayn Rand's thick novels by 5th grade (hahha, I find that funny now because I had no concept of communism then). For me, as long as they had words, any book would do.

We were blessed in Palo (12 km from Tacloban) where a few blocks away from home was the Palo Public Library, which was constantly supplied with American books by our sister city (Palo Alto, CA) and its NGO, Neighbors Abroad. I especially love reading my two favorites, Dr Seus and Tintin (not American, but maybe it was popular there), books on suburban life in America, American educational magazines (like Popular Science), Asimov and sci fi magazines, classical books I wouldn't have been able to read at an early age (my favorite then was Simone de Beauvoir and George Sands) if not for the good works of those few Americans. The library then was supplied by the Neighbors Abroad with used books, the building was the renovated old home of Don Pio Pedrosa, and the library was maintained by the municipality. Almost 50 years later, the library is still in existence, still being supplied with new books by the Neighbors Abroad, and still visited by children hungry for books and knowledge. I visited the library recently, and they still have copies of Dr Seus, Tintin, and countless new children's books, and even hardbound copies of Harry Potter!

Thank you Neighbors Abroad! We appreciate your good works and generosity.


Click here to view thumbnails for all participants

4 comments:

Jilly said...

So heartwarming to read your words and see the library. What would we do without books?

 gmirage said...

Surely sounds better than what Manila has to offer. Happy theme day!

turtle said...

you had a very good childhood.

Layrayski said...

lucky you!