Monday, October 20, 2008

Leyte Landing Revisited



Today is the anniversary of D-Day which we call here, the Leyte Landing. That's the day Gen. McArthur and his troops attacked the Japanese occupied Philippines in 1944. His first landing/attack was here in Leyte (although when you travel around the country, you will realize that many provinces make that claim). My mother tells stories of that attack. She said when they looked up at the sky, it was filled with planes flying and bombs falling and that the sounds of the explosions and gunfire were terrifying. They had fled to the mountains and were hiding in dugouts by then, having been warned by the guerillas and US spies about the attack. Celebration is called Leyte Landing Anniversary at the McArthur Park, Palo.

Photo above with the kids is one of my personal favorites. I always wonder, what could these kids be thinking and discussing and hoping and dreaming?



Night of the anniversary.

3 comments:

Hilda said...

Stories about the war are just so horrendous — my parents used to tell us of their experiences here in Manila and they always made me cry.

I love both your photos, for very different reasons, of course. I like the children in the first and the beautiful blue and black of the second.

Layrayski said...

My grandmother came from Southern Leyte and she told us about how the sky was filled with airplanes during liberation. 1944. I'm amazed at my grandmother's memory. Anyway I really want to go to my grandma's hometown at Tinaan, San Francisco.

escape said...

we were there last year! exactly during the leyte landing.