Monday, March 10, 2008

Leyte: Imelda's country



I don't really like postcard cliches but I thought I should post them here so you'll get a feel of Tacloban's history. But before I post Leyte's popular buildings and 'scenic spots', I thought I'd show you a part of an article I wrote in 2005 in Cebu's Southwall Lifestyle Magazine. It's about Imelda Marcos' beautification works in Leyte. If you are not from the Philippines, you probably don't know that Imelda is from Tacloban, born and grew up here, so that's why she had lots of millions of dollars infrastructure 'projects' done in Leyte, like the Sto. Niño Shrine, the People's Center, the San Juanico Bridge, the Geothermal Plant in Tongonan, Leyte Park Hotel, and Olot which I will post in the future. It's a good introduction to get a feel of these 'misplaced' buildings in Tacloban. (Please click the photo to read the text.)


(Image: from Southwall Magazine, January-February 2005. Illustration by Rene Elevera.)

No comments: