Saturday, March 8, 2008

Capitol building of Leyte



Kapitolyo, the capitol building of Tacloban. The flag pole in front of the building is Leyte's 0 km, that's why I thought I should make this my first photo of Tacloban. Prior to the construction of the building in 1907, this was the spot where Gen McArthur made Tacloban a temporary seat of the Commonwealth Government of the Philippines after his liberation of Leyte from the Japanese forces in 1944. 'Temporary' because he had the other provinces to liberate still.

There are two murals on each side of the building, one depicting the first Christian mass in the country and the other, Gen. McArthur's Leyte Landing. The building is where Leyte's provincial governor holds his office. Leyte is the province, and Tacloban City is the provincial capital.

(Sorry for the old photo, I will change it soon as I get the chance to shoot a new one, I seem to have misplaced my latest photos of it.)

1 comment:

shabbychicmom said...

Love your blog... please post more about our beloved home town Leyte if you can from old to new. I came from Alangalang, Leyte and was married to a Doloresnon from Eastern Samar. I also have a blog please check https://filipinoeducational.wordpress.com/. I always wanted to look more photos about our historic place. recently I stopped doing blog because of my busy schedule but maybe will be back at it again when I find ample time to take pictures.